Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Paleo Diet

Sometimes the best ideas need tweaking to perfect.  This is definitely to be said of this post. I decided to give this Paleo diet recipe a whirl. One of my good friends sent me this recipe and I thought it would be fun to try.  I am not a huge fan of enchiladas generally speaking {normally at a restaurant}, however I have made them myself {healthified, of course} and I love them. This time I decided to try them with cabbage instead.

Here is the recipe, I followed with a few exceptions, I used chicken not beef and NOTHING was organic. Hee hee....

Click here for the website

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. Fresh Ground Grass Fed Ground Beef
  • 1 Small Organic Onion, Chopped
  • 1 Clove Organic Garlic, Crushed
  • 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
  • 1 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • 1 Recipe Easy Enchilada Sauce (see below)
  • 1 Medium Head Organic Cabbage
  • 2-4 Small Organic Avocado


Sauce

  • 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold Pressed
  • 2 Tbsp. Organic Chili Powder
  • 1 c. Pacific Foods Organic Beef Broth
  • 5 oz. Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 tsp. Organic Dried Oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. Organic Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt

Directions
1. In saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together all ingredients except olive oil.
2. Bring to low boil then reduce heat to low to keep warm.
3. Before pouring over cabbage rolls, whisk in olive oil.


BEEF ENCHILADA CABBAGE ROLLS
Directions
1. In a large stockpot, add a couple cups of water and bring to boil.
2. Remove core from cabbage and very carefully peel off 10-12 leaves.
3. Place leaves in boiling water and turn off heat.
4. While cabbage leaves are softening, pan fry ground beef, onion, salt & pepper in cast iron skillet.
5. Once ground beef is cooked though, remove from heat and add crushed garlic.
6. With tongs, remove one cabbage leaf at a time, fill with beef mixture, roll tightly and lay in glass baking dish.
7. Cover cabbage rolls with enchilada sauce and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
8. Serve with avocado slices and enjoy!



Cabbage Enchiladas

The problem with this is that I don't believe I cooked the cabbage long enough to really be "soft" enough for an enchilada dish. The flavor was a little off with the sauce so maybe I need to tweak it a bit or I would try a different sauce that is equally healthy but uses tomatillos and is considered the green enchilada sauce.

At any rate, I would attempt again but with some minor adjustments.

Have you tried non-traditional enchiladas? If so, how did they turn out?

Have a foodilicious day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment