Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Too much sugar, not a problem!!

The other day I went shopping at Sprouts, a farmer market type of grocery store.   I love shopping there because the prices on the produce is fabulous and they are also fresh.  They also have a lot of organic and exclusive products, which I also love.

    One of the things that we bought was organic blueberry granola.  I don't really eat granola but my husband loves it, however, the sugar content was extremely high. So, I was thinking about how easy would it be just to make my own...it may not be the MOST cost effective idea, however, the health benefits of knowing exactly what I put in it outweighed the cost.

So, I researched the love of my life for some ideas and came across this recipe.  It was perfect because this website is one of these to me.  So, I went to work, omitted some items {to reduce the sugar content} and completely and utterly BURNED the first batch. I mean this stuff was SMOKING and not in the good way.   I should have taken a picture for you

The second batch came out okay but still had that semi-burnt look {and smell} to it.  After taste testing it, decided that it was cooked still too long and I think I will also omit the sesame seeds, as well.  But all in all not bad for my first time making granola and it will definitely be a staple in this house.

Now, it's your turn, tell me have you made your own granola? Do you have a favorite recipe?


 

Have a foodilicous day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment