Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Not really vegetarian

On my menu plan I had decided to try a vegetarian recipe, normally I am always planning meat options to ensure that I am getting PLENTY of protein since we are "weight lifting" family. Since, I don't normally plan a vegetarian option I didn't really know what to make, but since I had purchased bell  peppers on sale  {And y'all know how I feel about a great food sale} I knew these would fit the bill for stuffed peppers. Although, I wanted to keep this a strictly meatless meal the recipe I found called for ground turkey. Awe well.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my final product but there is a pic of my prep work. However,  let me tell you mine looked NOTHING {when does it ever} like the picture below. Beautiful, for sure.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 cup wild rice
  • 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
  • 2/3 cup low-sodium natural tomato juice
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 10 grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 4 assorted medium sweet bell peppers (red orange and yellow)
  • 2 oz part-skim mozzarella 

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium, cover and continue to boil for 25 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, add oil and onions to a large sauté pan over medium-high. Saute onions for 2 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add turkey, juice and seasoning. Cook until turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and black pepper, cooking, covered, for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  3. Fill a large pot half-full with water and bring to a boil. Cut tops from bell peppers and remove all seeds. Add bell peppers and tops to water and return to a boil. Cook, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove bell peppers and dry on paper towel.
  4. Drain rice and add to turkey mixture. In a glass dish, stand bell peppers and fill with turkey-rice mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella and add bell pepper top. Bake for 15 minutes.

Clean Eating

 



Prep work


The flavor of this was d-lish!! However, the bell peppers were not cooked long enough, apparently it seems like I have a history of not cooking things long enough.   I would definitely try this again just cook the peppers longer and use quinoa or barley for the rice ingredient.



Have you tried your hand at stuffed bell peppers? Any good recipes to try?


Have a foodilicious day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment