Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Here we go....

Hi y'all!!  I'm out of state for work and have been super busy for the last couple of days, so it's been crazy busy. However, I came up with an excellent post idea on how to eat healthy while traveling.  T

These top 5 tips are mine, not evaluated by any nutritionist, dietitian, food health expert...just little old me. So, basically what I am saying is that it works for me and are only tips not FDA approved!! =)

At any rate, here you go:

1)
Drink lots & lots of h20. I love lemon water. I always feel like I'm at a spa or am being super glamorous when I throw a couple of slices of lemon in my water. It adds a zing but also just feels healthy. When you travel, age old wisdom, you tend to get dehydrated (especially on planes) so keep your body quenched!!



2)      

Of course, one of the things you do when travel is eating out ALOT. If you don't have a home in the state or city you are traveling to, then you are most likely staying in a hotel and that means hotel food or restaurant food.  If you tend to dine out, I always choose healthy options for my meals (this is an actual rule I follow when at home as well, not just traveling). If you have a bad lunch, go easy on your dinner.  For example, maybe order a healthy appetizer and a salad as your main entree. I tend to always steer clear of heavy saucy meals so ordering light options comes naturally to me.  Also, chicken is always safest (as long as it's not covered with cheese, sauce, bacon...etc...) 


3)
 

Pack snacks! I don't necessarily mean bring some with you from home but make a quick stop at the local grocery store and buy a days, weeks (for however long you are staying) worth of healthy snack options. It's easy to carry those around with you as not to be tempted by junk food. I always shop for almonds, rice cakes and Aunt Aunnie products..easy to travel with and yummy!!


4)

Be aware of your surroundings. No, I don't mean look both ways before crossing the street. What I mean by that is take notice in the area that you are staying in for the lifestyle that people lead. It's easy to be "sucked" into a lifestyle than what you are normally used to because when you travel you  feel like it's a "vacation" and no I do not mean lying on the beachy sands of Hawaii. I am talking about being out of your normal element leads you to make different choices and feel more "relaxed" to do so. 


5)

Chew gum and drink coffee!!  I am not kidding.  I am not saying go crazy or get wired.  I am just saying by chewing gum and having a caffeine kick, it eliminates some hunger pains (and sometimes hunger pains are just thirst being confused with hunger). Imagine, it's hard not to be tempted when visiting Disney land with all the amazing smells of sugar cone ice creams, soft pretzel, cotton candy..etc.. If you are already chewing gum or had a cup of coffee, it will release signals that your not hungry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment